Right out of the box, this is an impressive book. It is an oversized hardcover and is glossy and beautiful. The pages are colorful, well illustrated, and the font is a pleasing size. It draws you in immediately and as a visual learner, made it quite attractive to me.
There are ten lessons in the book but this is not a lesson a day program, or even a lesson a week. The How To guide in the front of the book shares a suggested lesson plan, but I found it didn't always work with every lesson. We decided to simply read through the sections and stop for the day where it seemed to make sense. This worked well for us and allowed for freedom in discussion, as there was not a certain amount we had to complete before finishing.
The lesson structure varied, but contained components such as:
- The Big Idea (an introduction to the topic)
- What You Will Do (lesson objectives)
- Short Story (a story containing the lesson concepts)
- Think About It ("dig deeper" questions)
- Words You Need to Know (vocabulary)
- Hide it in Your Heart (two memory verses per lesson)
- Integrated Learning (cross curricular articles related to the lesson)
- What Should I Do? (character traits and application)
- Prayer (that'd be a prayer)
- Worldview Study (introduction to worldviews)
- House of Truth (hands-on model that can be used as a memory aid)
For my family, worldview studies are a must. It's not enough to base your beliefs on whatever your family believes or your church believes, but you must understand what and why you believe for yourself. Studying the Christian worldview, as well as others as they get older, is vital for this to occur. Once our children hit adulthood, parroting their parents beliefs is not enough. Their faith must be their own or it's worthless. Studies such as this one can be a good foundation for further worldview studies later on.
Book One, Who Is God? is available for $39 from Apologia Press. Check out a sample lesson HERE. Book Two, Who Am I? is also $39. Book Three, Who Is My Brother? should be available sometime this year with Book Four, What On Earth Can I Do? scheduled for release next year.
*Disclosure: This book was provided to me at no cost for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own. To find more reviews of this product and others, check out the TOS Crew hub.*